8 Ways to Grow Your Email List
- Create an irresistible email opt-in. First things first, you need to create some sort of opt-in freebie that will entice people to sign up. Don’t just put a sign-up form on your website, say you’ll send people your “newsletter,” and leave it at that. That won’t help you grow your email list. Instead of signing up, they’ll scroll on by, not caring what your newsletter is or what’s it’s about. You have to give your audience a reason to sign up. Ask yourself what your target market is struggling with. What can you provide to help solve a problem they’re facing? Your freebie should also contain valuable, high-quality content. When people see that you give great stuff away for free, it’ll get them excited about what you’d come up with for paid products. Do not think that just because this is a freebie you can skimp on the quality. It doesn’t work that way! If you want to grow your email list, this is key.
- Use content upgrades. Content upgrades are a great way to provide more value for your audience. But what is a content upgrade you ask? A content upgrade is a freebie that is specific to a blog post. For example, this blog post contains a content upgrade. It helps you to grow your email list, but also provides value for your audience, which they’ll love you for! Try adding content upgrades for some of the most popular posts in your archives to see a boost in subscribers. Some ideas your can try: checklists, printables, bonus material, or even just a PDF of the blog post.
- Create a landing page for your list. You could just send people the link to that MailChimp sign-up form of yours, but you should consider creating a landing page instead. A landing page will allow you to add your own design elements and write as much as you want about your opt-in to entice people to sign up. This has really helped me to easily promote my list.
- Use multiple sign-up forms. Don’t just place a sign-up form in your sidebar and call it a day. Put it in multiple places on your website so you can be sure it’ll get seen. Some great places to put your form? The sidebar, a “hello bar” at the top of the page, underneath blog posts, or in your footer. You can also utilize a pop-up if you’d like, but I’ve never been a fan of them personally. With multiple sign-up boxes, you’ll grow your email list in no time!
- Promote your list on social media. You should treat your email list kind of like how you’d promote a new blog post. Tweet about it. Share a link on Facebook. Promote your freebie on Instagram or Pinterest. If you’re ready to get serious and grow your email list, you have to make sure people know about the awesome opt-in you’ve got!
- Get rid of the “Subscribe” button. Subscribe? That’s BORING! Change your button to say something fun. Something people won’t be able to resist clicking on. Try something like: Download, Get _______ (your freebie) Now, I’m In, or a big, fat HELL YES! Get ready to grow your email list like never before because studies have shown that a simple change of the “subscribe” button can result in many more sign-ups.
- Create a free email course or challenge. Another great way to grow your email list? Create something that only people on your email list will receive. Just like with your opt-in, consider what your target market would benefit from. Then, all you have to do is come up with the content and start promoting! Email exclusive content is a great way to grow your email list and see an increase in subscribers fast.
- Try an ad. If you’re willing to drop some cash to grow your email list to massive numbers, try using Facebook ads, Twitter ads, or even promoted pins on Pinterest. If you’ve got a little extra money to spare, it can’t hurt to give it a try!