If you want a user-friendly blog, you need to be smart about how you optimize your blog’s sidebar.
After all, it’s a crucial piece of real estate on your website. And you should take full advantage of it!
So, my question to you is… Does the content in your sidebar actually serve a purpose?
If not, it’s time to make a change! And I’m going to show you how.
How to Optimize Your Blog’s Sidebar
There’s one key I like to keep in mind when it comes to choosing what goes into the sidebar and what doesn’t make the cut… Knowing your goals. This will ensure you’re making the most of this space.
Know What Your Goals Are
What are the main goals of your website? Do you even know? If you do, then that’s fantastic. Now, you need to figure out if your sidebar is helping you reach those goals.
If not, you need to determine what your goal should be. For me, my number one goal is to get new visitors onto my email list. This allows me to continue building a relationship with them long after they’ve left my site. That’s why it’s the top call to action on my sidebar.
Your goal may be the same. Or perhaps you’re focused on getting more people to enroll in your new e-course. Goals change, so you want to ensure your sidebar depicts that.
Do this by using your sidebar to promote your email list, your products, and your services. Think of it as a little hub for self-promotion. Just don’t go overboard. And make sure whatever you’re trying to promote gets a prominent spot.
Things to Include in Your Blog’s Sidebar
If you’re stuck for ideas, there’s no need to worry! I’ve got you covered. These are simple ideas to help you optimize your blog’s sidebar.
Essential Sidebar Elements
- Mini Bio: Include a photo of yourself, along with a mini bio to help your audience better connect with you. Keep it short and link to your About Page for more details if you’d like.
- Opt-In Form: Email lists are very important when it comes to blogging, so don’t forget to put that opt-in form in a few places. Your sidebar is a great place for it.
- Social Media Follow Buttons: You could also add your social media follow buttons in the header or footer of your site, but the sidebar is always the first place I check. They’re easy to spot there, which means it’ll help you land more followers.
- Search Box: Make it easy for new readers to search through your older content, otherwise they won’t stick around long.
- Links to Products or Services: Show off your latest and greatest by promoting your offerings in the sidebar. It’s a great opportunity to optimize your blog’s sidebar because it’ll land you more sales.
Optional Sidebar Elements
- Popular or Recommended Posts: Featuring other content is a great way to keep people on your website longer.
- Categories: This is a simple way to display the content categories you write about on your blog. It allows people to browse and soak up more content.
One Thing to Avoid
- Too Many Ads: Ads are fine when used sparingly, but please don’t go overboard. If you have ads all over your site, it really turns readers off. Be smart about how many you’re including on the sidebar.
Need some more blogging basics in your life?
Check out Blogging Bombshell! It’s your go-to course for learning all the essentials to building a successful blog!
Ready to learn more? Get the scoop here.