This post is Day 18 of the 30 Day Blog Challenge. Post about the challenge on social media using the hashtag: #THNblogchallenge. (You can view all of the challenge prompts here.)
These days, many bloggers are confused about SEO. They question if SEO is even necessary for their websites. They wonder which practices they should be implementing as part of their strategy. SEO for bloggers doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, it can be relatively simple to help your website rank higher in search results. These are my five tips on SEO for blogger that you need to know.
SEO for Bloggers: 5 Tips to Know
- Content is king. It should come as no surprise that your content is key in helping you get your website noticed. As bloggers, we are constantly publishing new content, which is great for a number of reasons. Every time you publish a post, search engines index your site. So, the more often you post, the more often your site gets indexed. However, that does not mean that you should publish just any old post. If you really want to get your website ranking higher, you have to make sure that your blog posts are quality content. The highest ranking posts are over 2,000 words in total. Of course, you don’t have to write posts that long, but you should make sure they meet the 300 word minimum. If there is only one tip on SEO for bloggers that you implement, it should be this one!
- Think about your audience first. The keywords you use within your blog post play a big role in whether or not anyone will see your site in their search results. Before you start writing your next post, consider the exact words that your audience will be searching and make sure you use it multiple times in your post. In order to figure out the best possible keywords, you can use Google’s Keyword Planner to find out how many monthly searches a string of keywords gets and how much competition it is.
- Find your niche. To put it simply, if you are consistently writing blog posts on the same topic, search engines (and your readers) will begin to see you as an authority figure in your field. It’s a good idea to narrow your niche as a blogger and stick to the same topic. In terms of SEO for bloggers, this can help you rank higher in search results. But it’s also great for showing your readers that you know what you’re talking about.
- Get a good site design. SEO for bloggers isn’t just about your content. It also has to do with your site’s design. Search engines like websites that are well-coded and easy to navigate. Make sure you’re keeping your site clean and simple and not overloading on Flash plugins or anything else of the sort. Also, make sure your site is mobile-friendly, otherwise Google will rank your lower!
- Remove broken links. If you’ve been blogging for a while, there’s a good chance you’ve got a broken link or two floating around in your old posts. Use a plugin to locate those broken links and either fix them or remove them. Broken links are not good for SEO.