Here are some of the signs you may be feeling burnt out:
- You have a lack of motivation: You just aren’t excited about anything anymore, including the things you used to love. You have zero motivation to tackle the things on your to-do list and most likely procrastinate on starting them.
- You feel exhausted: You might be feeling tired all the time either mentally, physically, or both.
- You have trouble concentrating: You are unable to stay focused on your goals and the tasks at hand.
- You’ve noticed a decline in your work performance: Burn out is often caused by our work and once it’s taken over, you’ll likely notice a decline in your performance. You’re no longer putting in your best effort.
So, how do you overcome burnout?
1. Know the source of your burnout.
Are you just overwhelmed with the amount of tasks on your plate? Maybe you’re juggling a full-time job with your side hustle and also trying to maintain your home life. Or maybe there’s a deeper issue at hand… Perhaps your lack of motivation is because you’re no longer passionate about your work? Determine what is causing you to feel burnt out so you can overcome it.
2. Think about the bigger picture.
It can be hard to get motivated to complete a certain task if you aren’t seeing the reason behind it. Ask yourself: What will accomplishing this task mean in terms of my larger goal? It’s a good way to remind you of what your long-term goals are and can help you get back on track.
3. Block off time for self-care.
You have to take care of yourself, no matter how much you have going on in your life. Block off time every week (or even a short amount of time each day if you can) to do something just for you. Tune out everything else and just relax. Take a bath, watch a movie, read a book, pamper yourself, go for a walk, or meditate. Whatever makes you feel relaxed and relieves your stress is what you should be doing during this time. You’ll see those feelings of being burnt out melt away.
4. Schedule breaks into your day.
It’s not healthy to always go at it non-stop. If you do, it could very well be the reason you’re feeling burnt out. You need to make time to take a break and step away from the laptop. Even a short break can help you clear your mind and recharge so you can get back to work. Schedule breaks into your day so you don’t forget to take them.
5. Take up a hobby.
Take up a hobby that you can enjoy doing during your free-time. Your hobby should be something that you look forward to every time. It can be a great way to eliminate stress.
These days, it’s hard for us to ditch our phones and computers. We feel the need to be connected at all times, but the truth is that it can easily contribute to those burnt out feelings. Take time away from your computer, your phone, and any other devices. You don’t need to be logged into social media 24/7. And you most certainly shouldn’t be checking those emails after-hours.
7. Delegate when you can or ask for help.
If you’re running a small business, you may not be in a position to hire an employee to delegate tasks to. But if you are, consider hiring someone who can take the workload off of you. If you can’t hire someone, you can still seek help from family or friends.
8. Clock out at the end of the day.
If you have a day job, don’t take your work home with you. I mean those both physically and mentally. Don’t bring work assignments home to complete after-hours (unless the boss says so, but you need boundaries). Don’t take it home mentally either, which means you shouldn’t think about it. Leave the stress and thoughts about work assignments at the door when you leave at the end of the day.
If you run your own business and work from home, it can be hard to clock out because your office is always right there. Set virtual office hours and do not check your inbox after this time. Make sure clients know your hours so they don’t expect a response from you during your off times. You can’t be available all day every day.
9. Get some sleep.
When people are feeling burnt out, they often lost out on precious hours of sleep because they’re stressed. Find a way to relax before bedtime and get to sleep early so you can catch up on your ZzZz’s.